Enjoy these cookies, they are a healthy spin on a classic. Jam sandwich cookies have been around for years. The cookies iscrunchy and lightly sweet while the jam is tart and fruity. Eating these reminds me of my own days dancing in the kitchen while baking with my mom. As always I’ve linked in the ingredients where to find any specialty items.
Jam Sandwich Cookies
Yield: 24 jam sandwich cookies
• 1 cup tart pomegranate cherry jelly
• 1 cup brown rice flour
• 1 cup cassava flour
• 1/2 cup tapioca flour
• 1 cup powered sugar
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 2 tsp vanilla extract
• 3/4 cup white sugar
• 1 cup unsalted butter
• 2 T cream cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Spray a cookie sheet with coconut spray.
- In a large glass bowl, combine all ingredients except for the jam.
- Mix until a stiff dough is formed.
- Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Prepare a clean surface with brown rice flour sprinkled on. Tapioca flour is great for this too is you prefer.
- Using half the dough, roll it out on the floured surface.
- Get the dough about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut them into rounds. I used 4inch cutters.
- Place 5 on the cookies sheet. Next cut a set of five circles in the middle using the small circle. Mine is an inch in diameter.
- You should now have 5 circles and 5 "doughnuts". Put the holy circles on the cookies sheet and bake for 9-10 minutes.
- Wait for the cookies to cool completely, then dollop a little amount of jam on the cookie and place the top on it so the jam shows through.
- Optional: Sprinkle powdered sugar over them for a classic holiday look.