This is a modern twist on a classic layered dessert. You'll find links to homemade options for the pudding, angel food cake and whipped cream. This is a great make a day ahead treat. Prepare the layers separately. Make sure you assemble the trifle right before serving!
Step One: Prepare the angel food cake. This cake can easily be purchased at your local bakery or grocery store. I made an angel food cake from scratch and it was magnificent! This recipe makes the cake slightly more dense than your normal angel food cake, which allowed it to hold together when the layers were poured on. Cut your cake into small 1inch squares. This will be your first layer for the trifle.
Step Two: Make the pudding. Here is a link to an amazing homemade pudding. Or you can buy the box and the store. Let the pudding set in the fridge while preparing the other layers.
Step Three: Either make or buy the whipped cream. I personally like homemade whipped cream and used this recipe. If buying the whipped cream, you will most want to buy the kind in a tub, not a can.
Step Four: The berries. I used raspberries and strawberries, but you can use any berry
you like. I soaked the raspberries in 2/3 cup of pomegranate syrup to make almost a
"preserve" layer. The strawberries were sliced to go on the sides of the dish.
Assembling The Trifle Layers Now for the fun part! If you have kids, this is a fun part to include them in.
1. Begin with the angel food cake. I used 12-15 pieces of cake each layer.
2. Next layer 1/3 of your pudding on the cake pieces. Add in the sliced strawberries around the sides.
3. Pour 1/2 of the berry mixture on top. If you are wanting clean-cut layers, I suggest draining the berries from the sauce. The sauce runs into the layers.
4. Get a thick layer of whipped cream on top. I used about 1/3 of my batch for this layer.
5. Now repeat! Angel food cake, pudding, strawberries, berry sauce, whipped cream.
6. This recipe makes 2-3 layers depending on your portions per layer. Enjoy!
Pomegranate & Strawberry Trifle Recipe:
1 angel food cake
1 batch whipped cream, or 2 tubs
2 lbs strawberries
1 lb raspberries
1 batch vanilla pudding
2/3 cup Skylake Ranch Pomegranate Syrup
Using either a large glass dish or small individual glass cups, start by layering in the angel food cake.
Pour vanilla pudding on top. If making one large trifle, use 1/3 of the pudding.
Arrange the strawberry slices around the sides of the dish.
Drizzle the berry sauce on top.
Now add a thick layer of whipped cream.
Repeat these steps 2-3 times until out of ingredients.
Makes: 1 large trifle or 8 small trifles
Prep: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes